One of the most exasperating problems a home owner can face is a leaky basement in their home. Basement waterproofing becomes necessary whenever dampness or water is entering a house through the foundation. Clogged, existing weeping tiles, deteriorated or misdirected gutters, or cracks in block and poured concrete are among the causes of water leakage. Benji Dittrich Construction expert inspectors will correctly diagnose and customize a basement waterproofing solution for your home or building.
A leaky basement not only affects the beauty of the home, but it also can cause damage to your home and make you and your family sick from contaminates and mold.
Delays in detection and proper fixing may result in severe damage or a negative impact on your family.
What Causes A Leaky Basement
Many problems can fall under three broad categories. The most general solutions to these problems are defined below:
Failure or Absence of Drainage System
The proper installation of a drainage system is vital for any house to prevent it from leaks. Proper drainage channels should be created under the basement floor and the walls, which do not allow the water to stand. The drainage system also includes motors like sump pumps that expel the water outside.
Appearance of Crack and Gaps in the Walls of Basement
Cracks can appear on basement walls or the basement floor. These gaps and cracks should be properly sealed with a proper substance like concrete and a waterproof membrane.
If cracks are not sealed, then it is expected that surface ground water may get in and cause the basement to leak. If cracks are large or multiple cracks are present call a professional ASAP for proper diagnosis and repair.
Failure in Controlling Ground Water: One of the most important preventive measures that can be taken is to control ground water. You can take many steps to avoid ground water standing around your house. Channels or gutters can be developed so that water may flow away.
Maintaining eves troughs is very important. Make sure eves troughs are always clear of debris and are draining water into the proper location. Extension pipes move water further from buildings and help to ensure water isn’t pooling against the foundation.
Pipes can break on the seam due to freezing and cause water to drain out the back of the pipe and not through pipe to the desired location away from the building. Do a perimeter check around your house at least once year, preferably in the spring.
Your Content Goes Here
The grade around the house should be maintained. Every year building owners should walk the perimeter of the building and make sure the water is moving away from the building. If there are any low spots add fill to bring up the grade so water doesn’t pool beside the house and it easily flows down grade.
Though these are the most common causes to a wet basement, there are many other reasons why your basement may leak. It is hard to diagnose without a thorough analysis from a professional. At the first signs of a wet basement or basement cracks call Benji Dittrich. We will diagnose your problem correctly, provide you an estimate and deal with the problem fast.
Weeping tile is porous 4-inch pipes used to discharge underground water.
Interior weeping tile is often used when an exterior weeping system has failed and/or outside is inaccessible or undesirable. This system is installed under the basement floor; water is directed to a sump pump pit, and discharged away from the house. A 12-inch wide by 12-inch deep trench is cut around the entire perimeter of the basement and a perforated pipe is placed inside, filled with clear gravel and covered with concrete.
A sump pump is used to lift water from a low spot into a discharge point, away from the house. The pump is located in a sump pit below the basement floor level. A sump pump keeps your basement dry by pumping out groundwater that collects in the sump pit.
We all know that we only have two seasons; a short warm season and a long cold season filled with rain and snow. That is why it is essential to waterproof your basement. There is variety of waterproofing solutions for your basement and we are familiar with all of them.
In order to prevent dampness and mold you should call a professional as early as possible. We will come in, inspect your basement, offer you a consultation and an estimate.
Consider reading the list of common waterproofing mistakes that we compiled:
- Keeping away from the Basement: People, who do not go into their basements for weeks or even months, end up finding their basements filled with water and mildew. If you don’t take care of these things, apart from the mess; it will be a larger expense to repair later. Furthermore, it can cause allergies and other health problems to you and your family.
- Not getting help from professionals: Many homeowners consider it frustrating to install a sump pump or any other equipment in the basement because of the jack hammering on the existing floor, the muddy sump pump pit and a lot of water all over the place. This situation can be very stressful without a doubt, so hire a professional.
- “You know what! I’m moving soon anyway…”: I have seen many people saying that they are moving soon, so why get into a waterproofing hassle. You must know that if the basement of your house is damp or has water issues, then no one is going to purchase your home. Buyers know it very well that they will have to spend extra cash to handle this problem, which is surely not a good deal for them. Hence, it can negatively affect the price of your home.
- Not getting it in writing, while hiring a contractor for waterproofing walls: Before hiring a contractor for waterproofing, you need to know what services that contractor is providing, the price you will pay them and when they will complete the task. Getting everything in writing about the price and services is a must.
- Not doing your research: One mistake when hiring a waterproofing pro is that people don’t compare different services before coming to a decision. It is always wise to understand the differences and the options, as some offer lower prices, but it is not always the right service.
If you want your waterproofing job done, whether it’s basement water proofing or waterproofing walls, you must avoid the above mentioned mistakes, which are so common that anyone can make them without even noticing.
When a property owner first encounters a crack in a foundation wall, they usually don’t have any idea how to deal with it. Call Us and we will diagnosis your foundation problem and together we will decide what repair option is best for you.
The first step to fixing a foundation issue is correctly diagnosing the problem. There is no one type of repair to fix all foundation problems. You want to do it right the first time, hire us: You deserve our experience, our honesty and our warranty.